(Sr.) Research Associate - Stem Cell Biology
GelMEDIX is an early stage, Cambridge-based, biotechnology company innovating the next generation of ocular and regenerative therapies through its proprietary bioadhesive hydrogel platform uniquely suited for cell therapy delivery and tissue regeneration. GelMEDIX’s core technologies were born out of a multi-year collaboration between Dr. Reza Dana (Mass Eye and Ear, Harvard Medical School) and Dr. Nasim Annabi (UCLA). The company is backed by a strong publication and IP portfolio and has seed funding from leading investors as well as military funding for treating ocular battlefield injuries.
We are seeking an experienced, creative, and motivated biologist to be a key member of our growing, cross-functional team working on the development and optimization of stem cell derived therapies and implantable formulations. While our focus is on ophthalmic indications, the position also allows for great breadth and opportunity in various disease areas, and the candidate may work on multiple programs in parallel at various stages of development. The candidate will report directly to a lead Scientist. This position is full-time with laboratory time being on-site at our facilities located in Cambridge, MA.
This is a unique opportunity to be an important contributor to the success of a well-positioned, exciting and entrepreneurial biopharmaceutical/biomaterial company.
Role and Responsibilities:
• Perform culture, characterization, and manipulation of human cells
• Perform in vitro functional assays on pluripotent stem cells
• Maintain materials, reagents, and cell bank inventories
• Document, compile, and report on data collected from in vitro studies
• Participate in regular internal project meetings and data reviews
• Maintain a clear, detailed laboratory notebook to document all experiments and findings
The Research Associate/Engineer will be a skilled hands-on scientist with a passion for research and product development who can both carefully implement existing protocols and play a role in innovating new ones. S/he/they will ideally have a mix of the following personal and professional characteristics:
● BS/MS in a biological science discipline (cellular biology, molecular biology etc.). Previous academic/industrial co-op experience is a plus and 2-3 years of industry experience is preferred for Senior RA level
● Experience with mammalian cell/tissue culture and sterile technique required
● Experience with primary human cell culture, human iPSC culture, or organoid culture is a plus
● Experience with general cell and molecular biology techniques (RT-qPCR, immunocytochemistry, flow cytometry etc.)
● Possesses documentation skills and attention to detail
● Excellent communication, presentation, collaboration, time-management, and organizational skills are required
● Strong interpersonal skills and a collaborative working style
● Creative scientist who can work closely at the interface of biology, chemistry, biomaterials, and engineering.
● Adaptability, flexibility, independence, resourcefulness
● Ability to successfully function in a dynamic, entrepreneurial, startup organization
The successful candidate will be an ambitious self-starter, have a strong work ethic, be able to generate high quality work under tight deadlines, and enjoy working in a fast-paced team environment.
GelMEDIX is based in Cambridge, Massachusetts with its R&D laboratory at LabCentral. GelMEDIX is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
For more information, or to apply now, please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org